Most of us assume that belly fat is the toughest to crack (which is quite true), but if you think again, fat accumulated in the hips is the next tough one to nail. Be it salwar kameez or a pair of jeans, a fat bottom can ruin almost anything that you choose to wear. Saree can be a saving grace, but you can’t be wearing that all the time, right?
Recommended Read: 7 Best Anti-Ageing Facial Exercises For A Complete Makeover
Knowing how embarrassing it can be to walk around with heavy hips, we have decoded a couple of exercises that can come in handy, if you are trying to lose weight from your hips. Start with these staple exercises that will help you tame the cellulite around your hips.
- Stand straight, and keep your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your back straight, bend your knees slowly. Gradually lower your body by pushing your hips back. As you go lower, stretch your hands straight in front of you.
- Keep the weight steady on your feet and upper thighs, and not on your knees. It is like pretending to sit on an imaginary chair.
- Try to maintain this position for 8-10 breaths.
- Then, slowly come back to the original standing position.
To increase the difficulty level, try putting your body weight on your toes and squat. You can also use dumbbells and place your arms parallel to the ground. Or, use a weight plate and hold it with both hands, and keep your arms parallel to the floor. You will feel the gluteal (three muscles which make up the buttocks) being exercised and pushed to the limits.
Recommended Read: 5 Simple Things About Your Wedding That Make You Fat
#2. Standing side-kick
- First make sure there is a wall or a strong chair by your side before you do this one.
- Now, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hands on your waist.
- Slowly raise your right leg to the side at hip height till it is parallel to the floor.
- Hold your leg for 3 counts and bring it back to the original position.
- Repeat with left leg.
- Do it at least 15-20 times in 4 sets.
This is a great kick-boxing pose that all ladies must add to their fitness regime. If you are not used to strenuous exercises or are not flexible enough, then for starters use a chair or a wall for the support as you lift your leg. Afterwards, get rid of the support for better results.
Recommended Read: 5 Most Effective Exercises To Shape Your Butt
#3. Hip raise
Image Courtesy: abworkouts.com
- Lie down flat on your back with your knees slightly bent and your hands by your side.
- Keeping your feet firmly on the floor, lift your hips a little. Keep your body weight balanced on your hands and feet.
- Now, slowly raise your left leg in front. And, keep the toe pointing towards the ceiling.
- Hold this position for five seconds, and bring it back to the original (knee bent) position.
- Repeat with right leg. This completes one rep.
- Do 10 reps in each set; begin with two sets and then increase it to four sets.
Also Read: 5 Sexy Ways To Lose Weight With Your Partner
#4. Seated leg raise
Image Courtesy: exercise.com
- Sit comfortably on a bench, chair or a mediball with knees resting at a 90-degree angle and feet firmly on the floor.
- Rest your hands on your side and lift both your legs.
- Try holding this position for about 15-20 seconds, and breathe normally.
- Lower your legs, coming back to the original position.
- Once you get comfortable with this exercise, hold your legs in the air for at least 30-40 seconds.
- Just make sure that your back always remains straight.
#5. One-sided leg lifts
- Lie down on an exercise mat, on your side.
- Keep your legs stacked, with one on top of the other.
- Place one hand under your head, and keep the other stretched by your side, on top of your legs.
- Now, slowly lift the leg that is on the top. Keep stretching it as far as possible, and hold the position for 5-8 counts.
- Slowly come back to the original position.
- Repeat this at least 5 times before moving on to the other side.
To increase the difficulty level in this one, you can lift both the legs instead of one. As the first leg reaches a comfortable position, lift the second one to meet it mid-air. If you are going for a double leg lift, then keep your one hand under your head, and the other one on the floor in front of you to manage your body weight better.
Don't Miss: 9 Forms Of Martial Arts To Lose Those Extra Kilos And Stay Fit
#6. Superman leg raise
Image Courtesy: womenfitness.co.uk
- Spread a mat on the floor and get on all your fours with weight evenly balanced between your hands and knees, to avoid any injury.
- Raise your left leg behind you, till it is parallel to the ground. Make sure you don’t bend your elbow while stretching your leg.
- Hold this position till a count of 5 seconds and then get back to the original position.
- Repeat with right leg to complete one rep.
- Do at least 4 reps in one set and gradually increase the number of sets to 4.
Recommended Read: 6 Surprising Facts Why You Are Gaining Weight
Lastly, but most importantly - manage your diet
- Eat protein-rich food (lentils, chicken) for it helps increase your metabolism.
- Avoid everything fatty and carb-rich for they do more harm than good and add to your body weight.
- Have fish for omega-fatty acids present in them decrease fat deposit around your hips.
The best part about these exercises is that they will not only help you to lose weight from your hips, but will also show positive results for your lower body, including your butt and thighs. Just stay motivated, because the end results will be worth every effort that you put in.
Next Read: The Incredible Weight Loss Journey Of Bhumi Pednekar; Changed Diet To Lose 27 Kgs