We all know about the love that women have for jewellery. Be it the family heirlooms or the trinkets collected from the streets, we are sure that you cherish every piece of your collection. But, isn’t it heartbreaking when you find out that your diamonds have begun to lose their lustre, or your gold jewellery is losing its sheen?
Well, if you investigate the root of the problem, you will realise that your jewellery needs some tender care in order to have a longer life. So, here are a few simple tips which will help you to take care of your jewellery better.
Recommended Read: 5 Matha Patti Designs That All Brides-To-Be Can Rock This Wedding Season
#1. Pearl jewellery
Pearls are really sensitive and they can get easily scratched or discoloured. So keep in mind, various points to take care of them.
- Always wipe your pearls gently with a damp cloth, dry them off and store them in an airtight container. Keep your pearls in a pouch or a box that has soft lining.
- Always wear your pearl jewellery only after applying makeup.
- Keep your pearls away from perfumes, makeup and hairsprays as they can cause discolouration.
- Never use baking soda or bleach to clean them.
- Do not make the mistake of using a tooth brush for cleaning; even the softest one can cause abrasions on the pearls’ surface.
- Never bathe or swim with your pearl jewellery on, as chemicals in the water may erode it.
- Never use plastic pouches to store your pearls.
Must Check Out: 7 Jewellery Ideas For The Brides Who Do Not Wish To Wear Gold On Their Wedding
#2. Silver jewellery
It does not take much for your silver jewellery to tarnish. That is why, you must be extra careful while storing it.
- To clean your silver jewellery, use a phosphate-free detergent or just soap water. Rinse it off, and wipe it with a soft and clean cloth.
- Always use warm water to rinse off silver.
- Always keep your silver in airtight containers or zip-lock bags.
- Like pearls, silver jewellery too should be kept away from cosmetics and perfume because it speeds up the process of discolouration and tarnishing.
- Do not store it with any other metal as it tends to tarnish faster.
- Never keep your silver jewellery in paper, cardboard or wooden boxes.
- Never store away your silver jewellery until and unless it is completely dry.
In India, jewellery is not just something to enhance the beauty of a woman, but also has some values attached to it. Read this to know the significance of bridal jewellery for Indian women.
#3. Gold jewellery
Though gold does not tarnish as easily as silver, it does tend to lose its sheen over a period of time. Unlike silver, water does not have an adverse effect on gold.
- You can clean your gold jewellery twice a week with a mild detergent, lukewarm water, and a soft cloth.
- Keep your gold chains and bracelets in separate boxes, as they can get entangled easily.
- Chlorine has a very harsh effect on gold. When it comes in contact with your gold jewellery, it tends to weaken it. So keep your gold away from chlorine water.
- Do not use any alcohol-based cleaning liquid if your gold jewellery is studded with precious stones. This is because such liquid tends to dilute the gum that holds the stones in place.
Must Read: 10 Prettiest Body Jewellery Styles For Brides To Look Gorgeous At A Beach Honeymoon
#4. Diamonds and precious stones
- You can clean your diamonds with a good quality jewellery cleaning solution that is easily available with leading jewellers. You can also simply mix some ammonia and water to clean your diamonds.
- Always use a soft brush to clean it and dry it off with a soft cloth.
- Always check the prongs that hold your gemstones in place. If they are cracked or you find them to be loose, rush to a jeweller to get them repaired.
You may hate to remove your wedding ring, but that does not mean you should wear it even when you are in the kitchen. Many women make the mistake of wearing their diamond rings while kneading dough or cooking. The result- your diamonds start losing their lustre. So it goes without saying, remove your solitaire while cooking.
Recommended Read: 5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying Bridal Jewellery To Match Your Wedding Outfit
We all love our jewellery, but that ‘love’ alone is not capable of making it last longer. So, make use of these tips, and let your jewellery take care of adding wonders to your looks everytime you wear it.