If you are thinking that essential oils are only used for nice fragrance or for some aromatherapy, then do read the following article to clear your myth. Extracted from natural sources using steam distillation and other processes, essential oils can actually help you lead a healthy, happy and emotionally balanced life.
Although, there are plenty of oils available in the market to choose from, but there are 5 essential oils that you must keep at your home to reap maximum benefits. Want to know about these oils? Then scroll down.
#1. Lavender Oil
With a delightful floral smell, lavender oil is one of the most calming oils and favourites of many people. It is loaded with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antidepressant properties. And here is how the oil can benefit you in other ways:
- Use few drops of this oil to treat skin rashes, minor burns, wounds, acne, earache, insect bites, stings, respiratory problems and hair loss.
- To treat anxiety and frayed nerves, simply pour a few drops of this soothing oil in your bath to get some relief.
- Add a few drops of oil in your humidifier and get relief from stuffy nose and congestion.
- Looking for ways to cure headache? Then rub the oil on your temples and forehead to get relief.
- Put a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow or handkerchief to help with insomnia and stress.
- Mix a few drops of oil in olive oil (or another carrier oil), and apply it on your body to repel mosquitoes.
Recommended Read: 7 Super-Amazing Benefits Of Beer For Hair That You Didn't Know
#2. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, decongestant, deodorant, disinfectant, antiseptic, antibacterial, analgesic, stimulating and other medicinal qualities. Used in inhalers, vapour rubs, rash creams and mouthwash due to its sweet and refreshing aroma, eucalyptus oil can also be used for the following:
- It can be used to treat burns, boils, sore muscles, and insect bites.
- Inhale the scent of this oil to help treat your asthma, sinus pain, respiratory tract infections, chest congestion and bronchitis. Or add a few drops of the oil in an unscented cream and rub it on your chest and throat to ease asthma.
- The oil can even help in boosting the immune system and reliving muscle aches.
- It even relieves stress and helps in better concentration.
- Use the oil to get rid of germs and odours in kitchen and bathroom.
#3. Tea Tree Oil
Made from the leaves of the melaleuca alternifolia plant, tea tree oil has fresh, camphor-like scent. Due to its antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, expectorant, insecticide and stimulant properties, this oil is generally referred to as ‘medicine cabinet in a bottle’ and can also benefit you in following ways:
- Just a few drops of this oil can help to cure almost all topical infections and diseases. Mix this oil with olive oil (or any another carrier oil) and rub it on the affected area to treat toenail fungus, athlete’s foot, warts, eczema, acne, cold sores and insect bites.
- Mix a few drops of oil in unscented shampoo to help get rid of head lice, dandruff and psoriasis.
- It even helps in fighting body odour, vaginal infections and chest congestions.
- Use it as an insect repellent around the house or drop a few drops around your pet’s bed to keep fleas away.
- Just add a teaspoon of the oil in water and use it as a disinfectant for your kitchen counter.
However, never consume this oil as it can cause side effects like weakness, vomiting, confusion, hallucinations, drowsiness, rashes, unsteadiness and diarrhoea. Also, never use it on small babies, pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Must Read: 8 Lesser Known Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil For Shiny Hair And Glowing Skin
#4. Grapefruit Oil
The Grapefruit oil is extracted from its peel by compression method. Other than uplifting your mood, this oil can also be used for following things:
- The oil can help to treat swollen lymph nodes and reduce cellulite. Mix a few drops of this oil in coconut oil and massage on the body parts in the night to flush out free radicals that create cellulite.
- It can also be used to treat oily skin, hair and acne. However, do not go out in the sun for at least 12-24hrs after applying this oil on the skin. It is best to apply the oil in the night.
- Rub a few drops of the oil on the forehead to treat migraines, tensions or headaches.
- Keep fleas away from your dog by spraying some oil around its bed. However, do not use it for cats.
- Add scent to your clothes by adding a few drops of the oil in the dryer.
#5. Lemon Oil
Lemon oil has soothing and refreshing scent. The oil has antidepressant, antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, antihistamine, detoxifying and astringent properties. You can also use this oil for following benefits:
- The oil is a great way to uplift one’s mood along with helping in fighting anxiety and stress.
- It can even help in treating headaches, stings, insect bites, skin problems, dandruff, hair loss and respiratory issues. Also, after applying this oil on skin avoid going out in the sun.
- Dealing with morning sickness? The citrus scent of the oil can help in treating the morning sickness.
Next Read: Surprising Skin, Hair And Health Benefits Of Camphor Oil You Didn't Know
However, do consult a doctor before applying or consuming the oils to be sure that they do not have any adverse reactions with any sort of medications. So, what are you waiting for? Grab some of these oils and keep them at your home. These multi-beneficial oils will prove to be a boon for you and your family.