As everyone has started to get health conscious by the day, and as more and more of us have started losing weight, another problem that has emerged is- stretch marks. A sudden change in body size can often result in these ugly-looking, light coloured vein-like lines appearing on parts like arms, thighs and calves or your tummy. Women who have just had a baby or those who have lost a lot of weight for their wedding, often experience this problem.
Since stretch marks are formed in the inner layers of the skin, they become really hard to get rid of. Even though these marks do not interfere with your normal functioning, the aesthetic issue is what can be really bothersome. To help you deal with this nagging concern, we have some easy-to-follow tips for you:
Recommended Read: Valentine's Day Ideas According to Sun Sign
Prevention is the best cure
Even though stretch marks can be difficult to get rid of, you can still keep them away. Here is how:
- Nourish your skin from within: Eat skin-friendly foods like vitamin C rich fruits (oranges, lemons, guava), include lots of protein in the diet (best choices would be soya, eggs, milk, fish, sprouts), incorporate essential fats in the diet (almonds, walnuts, olive oil, fish).
- Always stay hydrated: You lose a lot of fluids when you are physically very active. Make sure you replenish these by drinking enough water everyday. Drink at least 8 glasses of water, and have lots of juicy fruits and vegetables in the diet. You can increase the water content in the diet with fruit juices, herbal tea, milk, etc.
- Be regular with your exercise: Even if you are pregnant, talk to your doctor about yoga and other exercises during pregnancy. Physical activity increases skin elasticity and blood circulation, thus nipping stretch marks at the root.
Recommended Read: 5 Best Workout Ideas for Plus-size Brides
Care for your beautiful skin
If you are pregnant or have recently started a strict weight loss programme, there are chances that the ugly marks might show up. Even if you don’t have stretch marks at the moment, it is wise to start caring for your skin comprehensively to ensure that the problem never arises. Take a look at the tips below:
Also Read: Cucumber and Tomato Face Masks for a Radiant Skin
- Go for regular oil massages to soften the skin. If your skin is oily, you can have a body massage with a water-based moisturiser. Dry skin is prone to stretch marks, so it is best to keep the skin supple and moisturised at all times. Best options are cocoa butter or vitamin E enriched cream.
- If you are worried about using artificial products on your skin during pregnancy, you can use a mix of olive oil and aloe vera gel as a moisturiser. You can even opt for coconut, mustard or castor oil.
- Exfoliation is equally important. You can use a loofah while you bathe, or go for a full body exfoliation treatment at the spa. Exfoliation helps get rid of the topical layer of the dead skin, thus aiding in exposing the hidden new layers of skin.
Recommended Read: Best Shopping Tips for All Plus-size Brides
What if they start to appear?
In case you do notice a couple of them, don’t panic. Here is something that can help:
- Ensure that your weight does not fluctuate a lot. Losing and gaining a lot of weight too often, can damage the skin.
- Do not forget to apply liberal amounts of sunscreen every time you leave the house. Harsh sunrays can cause skin tanning and wrinkling. This can make the marks appear more prominent.
- Rub potato and lemon juice over the affected skin. Potatoes and lemons are rich in natural skin-lightening agents. These will help even out your skin tone, thus making the marks less visible.
Recommended Read: 4 Easy to Do Spa Treatments at Home
Stretch marks can be a frustrating problem, especially if you have lost a lot of weight and want to look perfect. But with these easy tips, you can prevent them from appearing or reduce their visibility, ultimately getting rid of them.